Welcome

Welcome to my cooking blog, for regular mommys all over

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Green Goodness

I went in service all day yesterday, so I woke up with the intent of making myself a yummy salad to entice myself to hold off on the heavy junky food so I could feel the greatness of veggies.  I always feel great after a salad, therefore I eat at least two salads every single day.  I'm actually rather obsessed with salad.
I get the Rachael Ray Everyday magazine, and in this month's issue, there was a recipe for a strawberry spinach salad.  I thought I would be able to whip it up in no time, but I had to start by making the strawberry vinagrette from scratch.  It included:  strawberries, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, sugar, olive oil, and shallots.  After that, I sauteed a chicken breast after taking all the "wierds" off of it.  I took the chicken out of the pan when it was done and added cut up strawberries, balsamic vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper to the pan, getting all the chicken drippings on the strawberries as well.  The greens I had were baby spinach leaves, which I LOVE!  I love all different greens, and have only recently discovered how lovely and delicate each variety tastes.  Arugula is fantastic, especially on sandwiches, and a butter blend salad is good with cucumbers and tomatoes.  I mix butter lettuce and iceberg because only butter lettuce makes for a very soft salad.  I need that crunchy aspect.
So...as for assembling the salad, First it's baby spinach.  Then crumbled chevre goat cheese, which is very creamy.  I thought it would be a hard crumble like feta, but when I ate it, it was very creamy in the salad, and cut some of the acidity of the strawberries.
Back to the salad...then chicken, strawberries, and vinagrette.
TRY IT!!!!!  It takes salads to a whole new world!!!
And a person can never have too many greens.  They're just so delightful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Little Chocolate Devils

Little Chocolate Devils
These were a treat I made for superbowl 2011. Thanks for the picture, Lynz!