Welcome

Welcome to my cooking blog, for regular mommys all over

Thursday, August 23, 2012

SUYA

What is Suya????
I had no clue.
My mom and dad went to Africa and had Suya, which they wanted to recreate.

Dad took all kinds of spices-chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, I think cloves (?) but I'm not sure, I don't even know what else...and he mixed them up.  Then he ground up a cup of crushed peanuts.  The The mixture was supposed to be very dry, but it wasn't because he ended up using a regular onion instead of onion powder so it was wet.  So he added a little bit of oil so the meat could marinate in it.  Anyhow, he put super super thin slices of venison in a bag and let it marinate in the sauce he made for a couple of hours.

Then he soaked some bamboo sticks.

When we were outside for the bonfire last night, (and let me tell you, people, dad has created this AMAZING bonfire area with lanterns hanging and big rocks everywhere and the bonfire itself was BEA-U-TI-FUL!!!! )  he put a grate and propped it up so it was at an angle over the hot coals.  When the coals were piping hot and blazing away, he laced the meat onto the skewers, making sure the meat isn't too tight on there because it cooks more even when it's loosely skewered.  Then he put it on the grate and waited.

I can't even tell you all how divine it was!  The meat was soooo good.  It melted in your mouth.  Plus, it was sort of chewy and crunchy on the outside, and soft in the middle.  The peanuts tasted like they were glazed or something.
We're going to have to make this on a regular basis.  GO DAD!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Little Chocolate Devils

Little Chocolate Devils
These were a treat I made for superbowl 2011. Thanks for the picture, Lynz!