Welcome

Welcome to my cooking blog, for regular mommys all over

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Smoked bbq beef brisket & Red Potato Salad

This one was not fully my making.  Oh wait...all I did is sit there and look cute while dad did it all.  :-)  (jk) Anyhow, we had this GINORMOUS brisket, so dad trimmed the fat off until there was 1/4" or less of fat all over the whole thing.  Then we cut it in 3rds because it was so big and we needed it finished in 6 hours instead of 8.
Let me tell you, a brisket is SO tough.  We baked it for a few hours on 350 in beef boullion, and apple cider.  We could hardly poke the fork in, it was like leather!
So we cooked it longer another 2 hours after dipping it in a "mop" sauce dad made of...um....like apple cider, tomato sauce, can of diced tomatoes, garlic, salt, cumin, chili powder, whiskey, and brown sugar.  We let it boil down a lot.
Then dad cut up some maple wood and put that in the smoker.  He kept dunking the meat in the sauce every 30 minutes or so, but it was DONE at an hour more.  So I guess he only did it a couple of more times.  It was sooo tender!
We decided to chop it up and put it on some fresh chewy buns.  SSSOOOO good!  Our first brisket was a total success.  We watered the "mop sauce" down with more apple cider because it was super strong, and used that to moisten the meat after it was chopped up.
We had red potato salad with it.  I took red potatoes, cooked and chopped them up, and added diced red onion, celery, zucchini, green onion, and a BUNCH of hard boiled eggs because I love hard boiled eggs in my potato salad.  And for the sauce, I did it was 2/3 greek yogurt and 1/3 mayonnaise to make it more healthy with more protein.  I also added sweet relish, salt, pepper, garlic powder, parsley, and dill.  Only a little big of dill though.
Everyone loved it!  The potato salad just needed more sauce.  Too dry.  But that can be fixed.  And the greek yogurt was good in it too.  Y'all should try this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Little Chocolate Devils

Little Chocolate Devils
These were a treat I made for superbowl 2011. Thanks for the picture, Lynz!