Welcome

Welcome to my cooking blog, for regular mommys all over

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Beer N Sauerkraut braised spare ribs

I've got all these strange ingredients in my house.  Cabbage, zucchini, sauerkraut, lots of cucumbers...so I decided last night to start using some of them up so they don't go to waste.  Therefore, the lima bean shepherds pie, which I liked at the time, but it could have been because I was starving and it was warm.  I didn't want anything to do with the leftovers today, so they must have not been that good.
Plus it gave me major tummy issues, if you know what I mean.

Today I put a mix of a half bag of sauerkraut, worcestershire, lots of brown sugar, salt, pepper, half a chopped onion, and a head of cut up cabbage into a baking dish Oh yeah, and a bottle of beer, a brand called Flat Tire, which I thought was very delicious beer!  I don't like the idea of putting good beer into a dish, because I think the cheap icky stuff works almost as good.  But it was all the beer we had.
Then I put it into a 400 degree oven for a long time.  During that time, I put foil in a baking sheet and laid the spare ribs on it with salt and pepper and baked that.  When they looked mostly done, I put the ribs in a roaster and covered it with the sauerkraut delishusness.  That's not a word.
Anyway, I put a drizzling of bbq sauce over the top and baked it for a couple more hours on 350.
BEWARE, while the kraut is baking it doesn't smell the best.
But the horridness goes away, and out came sweet carmelized ribs.  SO GOOD!!!!!!!!!!  I wish my camera was working, but it's broken.  I would have taken a picture and posted it on the blog site.  That's how beautiful it all looked!
We ate it with fresh corn on the cob and yukon gold potatoes that were diced up and mixed with butter, salt, and sweet and smoky rub and baked in the oven till done.
This is the best meal of the month for me.  I think.
I'm very proud.
However, we ate the ribs, and what we found of meat was super good.  The rest was fat.
So it was beautiful, but fatty.  And I HATE fatty meat!  My sisters and I call it "wierds" in our food.
Gross.
You should not think you have a bite of meat and find out it's a "wierd."  So next time I will look for less fatty ribs.  Or I will get country style.  They're easier to eat.
Everyone gobbled it up and we only have a tiny little rib leftover out of 4 pounds of ribs.  Excuse me, a quarter pound of ribs, 3 and 3/4 pounds of fat.
Essentially, we all ate a yummy sweet beery sauerkraut, which wasn't sour at all.
And drank our Coke.
And dreamed of ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Little Chocolate Devils

Little Chocolate Devils
These were a treat I made for superbowl 2011. Thanks for the picture, Lynz!