Welcome

Welcome to my cooking blog, for regular mommys all over

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Baked Dijon chicken

So I haven't been cooking much lately.
What can I say, I've been super sad.  I've been eating pizzas and going over to mom and dads instead of cooking, or cooking the same old boring things.
I watched Rachael Ray's 30 minute meals yesterday and got inspired again,
And I'm so glad I did!!!!!!!!!!  It's so worth it to cook.  Not only did my house get cleaned, laundry got done, (and put away, girls!) and supper was made.  It took until 8pm, but did I feel great!  And tired.
SO-I got this bone in chicken from the food shelf.  What do I do with it?  It's legs and thighs, and I'm not really a dark chicken fan because there are all those wierd things in them.  And it takes forever to cook.  When I watched the 30 minute meals I was ready to go!
Put the chicken pieces in a scorching hot pan of olive oil to brown it.  Then mix up dijon (I did hot n spicy mustard, it was also delicious!) rosemary, oregano, and I put some brown sugar.  Dollop that on top of the half cooked chicken, and then I added some more water and popped it in a 400 degree oven.  For about a half hour.  Then I took red wine vinegar, whole cloves, bay leaves, and sugar and reduced that mixture down about halfway.  Strained it out, and poured it over finely chopped cabbage.  Then poured a little bit of olive oil over it.  By the way, easy on the cabbage.  I have gas.  This is so good you'll want to eat the whole head, but beware!
Mix it up.
Then we also got tons of red potatoes from 2nd harvest, so I cut those up and put them in my fancy dancy Pampered Chef steamer pot with some water and popped that baby in the microwave for about 10 minutes.  Meanwhile, I mixed butter, chili powder, smoked paprika, garlic, salt, and pepper.  When the potatoes were done, I doused them with the butter.
OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!  It was all SO good together!  The chicken was super juicy, the potatoes were great with the flavor of the chicken, and the cabbage was sweet with a little zing from the vinegar.  But not too much.  I'm not really a lover of vinegar.  Which is why all the sugar was added.
TRY IT!  It's under Deviled chicken if you look up Rachael Ray's website.
What to make tonight???.......  I'm going to study for meeting and make some fabric flowers so I can pin them onto my cream colored curtains now for my new blue and gray bedroom!  C YA!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Little Chocolate Devils

Little Chocolate Devils
These were a treat I made for superbowl 2011. Thanks for the picture, Lynz!